View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Re: Teachingsyllabus

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
The 2 main ways of escaping from a technique safely, when all else fails, at a beginner level, is front and back roll. In that regard, the hardest falls for a beginner, IME - for someone who is uncomfortable/fearful of falling from a height, lest they be hurt, are from shihonage, and taiotoshi.
Yes, I agree. In my 2 weeks of ukemi class (and note that that is really only a little more than 2 hours of practical class-time, after you take out the warmups, etc), I focus almost completely on forward and back rolls, starting from seiza and working up to standing rolls.

Quote:
Thus, I draw attention to the parallels with the specific "warm up" exercises that precisely conveys the use of these skills. BTW, whilst I do focus largely on "warm ups", and in particular, the rationale and finer points of performance, students are largely expected to do these exercises outside of class. This allows me to quite accurately gauge those who have or have not practiced outside of class and who require more assistance in what areas.

And since the fall from shihonage is practically the same as from kotegaeshi, I see no compelling reason to spend excessive amounts of time focusing on falling as a way to receive the technique, and instead focus on the finer points of technical application.
I dunno...for some reason, I've found that some ppl find it harder to fall from kotegaeshi, than they do with shihonage.

Quote:
I seem to operating from a totally different set of objectives.
Yes, I am keeping this point in mind.

Quote:
My students aren't graded, and are therefore free from such, IMV, "restrictive" technique requirements.
Not to debate this point (no need), but the techniques are a little less "restrictive," than you might think. The techniques cover all the basics of entering, presenting different challenges for ukemi (forward falling vs back, etc), as well as challenging nage to demonstrate different skills inherent in the techniques, etc.

But if I had the restrictions of grading taken away: I probably wouldn't use technique as a criteria for evaluation.

Quote:
I take a more "building block" approach. For me, these exercises form the core building blocks of my approach and are incorporated as part of the "warm ups". By using some of the warm up elements, students are shown how to put these together in the form of an appropriate exercise drill, or series of exercise drills. These exercise drills are then put together to form the basis of one or two technique application examples.

I believe this approach provides the student with a better appreciation of how the various elements of warm up and exercise drills are brought together in an applied setting.
Hmm,,,interesting. Can you elaborate? I'd be very interested to read specific lesson plans (or outline) on your strategy of putting together warmups with the particular applications.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 03-15-2007 at 11:57 AM.