View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #60
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
If I'm understanding you correctly (as well as the terminology others are using), are these exercises primarily aimed at creating pathways within yourself to deal with incoming forces? Do you also train your body's structure to store and release power? Can you give any specifics on the drills (solo or paired, etc.) that you do (I'm not super familiar with Tohei's drills other than what others have mentioned on boards like these) to train these things within yourself? What kinds of benchmarks for success or failure do you use?
Ki development is assessed in a variety of ways. With regards to pathways, these things happen anyway but are not specfically trained for, described or aimed for in detail, but you develop a lot of this stuff along the way regardless. In my experience no, we don't specifically try to store and release energy with the body in the manner often described but it often happens anyway. We tend to focus more on using the other guys energy than explosive release of our own power, more efficient and more in line with what aikido is all about. In other words evasive body movements rather than standing there like a muppet and letting people hit you to prove that you can absorb the shock of it by routing it to the ground. If an attack is coming don't be there is usually the best option. Never did see the value in hitting myself with an iron bar just to prove a point.

As to the rest your best bet it to read one of Tohei's books. IMHO Chinese style internal arts are very good, but they are out of step with aikido because they do not aim to train fudoshin in the same way. I think that fudoshin is probably the most important aspect of ki-aikido, again, IMHO. Like I said, similar to the Chinese stuff but also slightly different in aim and focus.

Back to making pathways for a minute, I recall people over on aikido-l telling a story of the late George Simcox Sensei sitting on a wheelie chair (typical office type chair) and having people push on his shoulders only to discover he didn't move or slide across the floor but stayed rooted to the spot. Like I said, plenty of this stuff been happening in aikido for decades if you look for it. Simcox Sensei is sdaly missed. I think the last time I wrote anything to him over on aikido-l I was less than polite, I can't even recall why now, I just hope I've lived and learned since then. I wish he was still here to talk about these things.

Quote:
Out of curiousity, what specifically are you doing (to yourself or the other person) to use/maintain 'weight underside'? Is it strictly a matter of pathways? From your perspective, how are they directed/maintained in accordance with your structure?
I find that excruciatingly difficult to explain, you kinda have to feel it to know it. It involves relaxing your weight downwards whilst maintaining an upright and strong posture. It's very difficult to get your head around it at first. I think that's mostly because we're so used to carrying our own weight around from the time we learned to walk that we don't really appreciate how to use it to our advantage. I like to try getting people to do say.. kotegaeshi, slowly but with someone elses hands on their shoulders applying all their weight stright downwards. It gives you an appreciation of how weight is transferred through your own body when you apply techniques. It's a start, nothing more

Quote:
Understood, I also happen to most definitely not be a great master, which is why I like to ask questions! If you had to pick the key exercises that train the internal skills that you feel are important, which would those be and why?
All of them, over and over again because they're all about the same thing, just from different perspectives. Sorry, lousy answer but I can't think of one in particular, though I am becoming more and more fond of the rowing exercise lately for some reason, but that may just be a phase I'm going through.

Quote:
Cool. Do you practice tensing and untensing your buttocks as a separate drill (I think Ravishing Rick Rude used to do that in the ring in the 80's) or combine it with others? When you're willfully releasing certain areas in that region, are there others that you're willfully activating (the back, the legs, etc)? If so, how?
LOL. Nope It's not a training exercise but I've discovered that tension has a way of sneaking up on you, just checking to see if you've clenched those muscles is a good way to check to see if it has or not. It's definitely not a training exercise of any sort. Lol, how embarassing That's not what I meant.

Anyway, other computer is done with the simulation now so back to the grind.

Regards

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr