View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #128
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Probably should but I think that the why are you here thread and this one are about the same thing really, hence the convergence.

I would just like to say one thing following a few strange PM's etc..

I am not questioning, nor have I ever doubted the abilities, good nature etc of Mike and Dan. If they can do the things they describe then fine (people who have met them seem to think they can so I'm sure they can), other peopel can do them too. They say that these things have been lost to aikido. This is not true. They have been actively taught for the last 50 years or so within aikido, if your instructor does not teach it ask him or her why, if they don't know the answer tell them to ask their own instructor, it's a reasonable question I think, and if the answer is 'we don't think it's important', then so be it, so long as you're comfortable with that. I agree wholeheartedly that the sorts of things they talk about are fundamental to aikido, but they are still part of aikido if you look for them, they have not left the art. You need not import chinese internal principles and training methods or anything else into aikido to make it real, effective and useful as a means of defence.

I do not understand if it is some sort of ego trip to come to an aikido forum to tell aikido people they are doing things wrong or not. I only know that I wouldn't go elsewehere and lecture people about ki principles. It smacks a little too much of self publicism and posting fliers for 'the one true way' IMO. So I ask, why are you here? What do you hope to acheive by educating us all as to the way you do things in your (non-aikido) dojo?

Anyway I'll be away from the keyboard for a few weeks so I doubt you'll see me reply after today anyway if it makes you feel better.

Regards

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr