View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
eyrie

Australia
Re: Teachingsyllabus

I dunno Sharon.... whilst I understand that your objectives are to modulate a University level course in basic kinesthetic movement within the paradigm of martial arts vis a vis Aikido, there seems to be an inordinate amount of time dedicated to learning to fall.

IMO, the bulk of your curriculum can be dealt with in a 1hr lesson, with the remaining time over the next 4 or so months, spent on bringing all of the foundational principles together in a handful of techniques, to some level of basic competency - perhaps to 5th kyu?

FWIW, my introductory lesson for all first-timers will cover the basics of ashi-sabaki, tai-sabaki and ma-ai, and the rationale for those in relation to attacks (striking and grabbing). Already within the first 2, we would have covered irimi/tenkan as part of the rationale of footwork and body movement as well as the basics of grabbing and striking.

These basic concepts culminate in 2 variations of katate kokyu nage tachiwaza which require the participant to perform a basic mae and ushiro ukemi. At the same time, they also learn the one basic rule of breaking someone's balance - and how their own balance plays a role in effecting a technique.

I tend to focus a lot more on the "warm up" exercises in the first lesson as the foundational basis for the techniques and movement that follow.

So, by the end of the first 1hr lesson, participants would have a basic knowledge of stepping, pivoting, moving off the line of attack, front and back ukemi, and 2 throws. In the remaining months that follow, if they stay that long, the time is spent on exercises focusing on developing body connection. I find that the better "connected" the student is, the less need there is to specifically teach ukemi of the falling down variety. Which in turn allows for a greater emphasis on the finer points of technique and technical variations.

FWIW.

Ignatius