View Single Post
Old 03-07-2002, 08:20 AM   #18
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Abasan
I believe some of my willing partners suffered stomach aches after constant practice on just the forearm pressure points.

My bride, Emily, is a certified massage therapist, thus, she winds most days up with extremely fatigued hands and arms. My job is to help restore her strength and flexibility and soothe her aches. The methods I use are a combination of things including Danzan Ryu restorative massage, pressure point manipulation, stretches and joint manipulations from budo -- as well as a few bits I add as I learn and explore what works.

One of the techniques involves 'stripping' the forearm muscles up from wrist toward elbow and stopping at the kyusho for several seconds with direct pressure. This is also a reflection of Travell and Simons' (sp?) trigger point therapy work ...

Far from causing any stomach discomfort, this seems to help the muscles relax, flush lynmphatic wastes, increase circulation and relives both pain and fatigue.

Oddly enough, one thing that DID cause her tummy to rebel was one of those fancy, heated, vibrating, foot spa things. It's a sort of a footbath with nubbly bits to massage your soles whilst the hot water soothes your feet. I love it, but she can only take a few minutes before getting distinctly nauseous ... go figure.

On the other hand, we've both explored 'therepeutic touch, reiki and reflexology and are both quite skeptical ...

One of the key features, I think, is how willing the patient is to allow the stuff to actually work. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy thing.

What I'm trying to say is that there may be some merits to what Bruce is trying to say. How many of our instructors are well versed enough to counteract any negative side effects from our practice.

I have no problem agreeing that his ideas may have some merit, my objections are to his tone, his willful ignorance of the 'big picture' and a very narrow view of what budo is and can be.

And I got real annoyed when he persisted in calling folks here 'children', as if he were the wise and kind old master and all of us were his acolytes, eager to bask in his teachings. He failed (and I suspect continues to fail) to understand that there are folks here, active and lurking, who have more aikido (and budo) experience and depth than he can really imagine.

Everybody needs a belief system and his is fine for him, but he shouldn't be waving the flag of enlighteneed wisdom before he gets a better idea of what else there is beside his own limited worldview.

IMSNHO 'young warrior's' opinion, of course. I am, BTW only a few years younger than he and have more than 27 years of budo training under my belt ... I kinda LIKE the idea of being a young warrior, but the reality is that I'm a 45-year-old budo bum who's more a crusty old fart than a young warrior full of piss and vinegar.

Aside from that... how in the world did chuck find a website about 24 fighting chickens?

LOL! I've been a fan of Rob's writings for several years. I don't always agree 100 percent, but he is insightful, bold, brutally honest and unabashedly iconoclastic. I like that. And he says a lot of the same things my teacher has taught me over the years, but Sensei was speaking of budo broadly and Rob's stuff is focussed on karate.

There are no secrets. Only hard work and diligent practice.

Chuck