View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #56
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Meeting with Mike Sigman and Rob John

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
That is a fair interpretation of what you wrote. It sounds ridiculous to me.
Yo Dan. I think George is expressing a very real phenomenon that exists due to a number of factors. I've had, and continue to have, similar experiences over the years, and I'm sure you have too. Just last night while practicing the uchi no kata version of our ukenagashi, I was stuck by how the whole thing works the exact same body dynamics that Rob had demonstrated during part of his Seattle workshop. When I started using what I'd learned from Rob everything clicked, but to do the movement correctly became much harder (if that makes any sense). Now I don't believe Mochizuki Sensei held anything back from us when he taught us this kata. In fact, it was the very specific nature of his teaching that led me to make the comparison and feel confident that I was merely seeing what was already there, not adding some new component. He was not holding back from me, but rather making sure that she shell of understanding was in place, and it was up to me to fill in. I've had the same experience with Neil's stuff (both informing other things I do, and being informed by new information). I'm sure you've had the same experience, where you think, "Oh man, THAT'S what xxx-sensei was doing! I am such an idiot!" That's the biggest thing I've taken from the Aunkai stuff I've been exposed to, as Neil says, "It fills holes." It's amazingly efficient at building the body skills necessary for martial movement. Some people come to the table doing a lot of this stuff automatically, and often they don't really make the best teachers. Because they just do something internally, they don't know what it's like not to do that. I suspect this is what people in the ASU (I'm singling them out due to familiarity, nothing more by the way) have to deal with, *both* with Saotome Sensei and Ikeda Sensei. There's a lot of stuff that they both just do, and if you don't, they're going to be hard pressed to tell you how because they don't know how not to do those things, they may not even know that they're doing it.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
TNBBC Blog