Old 02-26-2007, 12:57 AM   #18
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Cross Discipline Training

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Amir,

I agree with you. Everything comes at a price. We only have so much time to devote to study.

If our goal is to become the best aikidoka we can become, we should devote as much time as we have available to be the best aikidoka we can.

If our goal is to be the best judoka, then we should study judo as much as we can.

However, each is on a different path, so some may want to study many things.

Some are hard headed like myself, and must learn and question very critically as we go! Hence why I have been studying Aikido for like the last 11 years and STILL have not achieved shodan!

However, as I stated, it comes at a price. If we are not willing to put the time or effort into our studies, we should not expect our sensei and teachers to spend an inordinate amount of time teaching us.

I know if I have students that want to take my time, yet do not put forth an honest effort to learn, then I grow tired and impatient with them if they are not going to devote the proper attention to there training.

I personally will be torn once returning to my aikido dojo this summer. I have to train in both aikido and BJJ AND have a job AND family!

So I will split my time between all of that!

I will not however expect my aikido instructor to work with me, if I am not putting forth the right effort in my training.

That is one thing to consider when cross training for sure!
I Agree