View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #611
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
Linguistically, you're on very shaky ground here. Ueshiba never said anything about "non-resistance".
Quote:
O Sensei wrote:
We adhere to the principle of absolute nonresistance, that is to say, we do not oppose the attacker. From "Aikido" (1957) Kisshomaru Doshu, (tr.-- Pranin & Terasawa).
Online here: http://www.aikidofaq.com/interviews.html
Quote:
The man spoke no English. What he said was that the principle of aikido was muteikou 無抵抗, which is not at all at odds when what Mike, Rob, and Dan have been describing.
Source? If its from Second Doshu's "Aikido" why don't you post the original of the quoted translation and we can all parse it? I do not not have access to a Japanese version of the text.
Quote:
"Non-resistance" is a decent enough translation for muteikou, close enough for government work, as they say. But if you want to argue terms and definitions, you'll have to do it from the original Japanese.
Government is never close enough -- take it from one who has worked there. Argue with Pranin on the English translation text, not me... you forgot the to address the "absolute" part, though...
Quote:
It may or may not involve structural resistance (depending on how you define that particular term), but it doesn't involve any teikou.
抵抗 typically means "resistance" in a systemic sense, as in an electrical circuit or a suppressed political opposition movement, with the sense of the kanji = touch + confront.

All of these terms mean "resist" or "resistance" in varying connotations closer to the sense that Pranin's translation used in English. I have no idea which was used in the interview transcript

反対 hantai = "resistance/hositlity" with the sense of the kanji = anti + opposite, counterpart -- typically in an attitudinal sense of antagonism.

抗 戦 kousen = "resistance" with the sense of the kanji = confront + battle

抗 争 kousou = "resistance" with the sense of the kanji = confront + quarrel, strife

手 向 かい temukai = "resistance" with the sense in the kanji = hand + opposed

Of course, so does レジスタンス but I doubt you would find that in the original...

Quote:
As for sumo, we shouldn't underestimate the ki and kokyu skills present in that art, either, ...
Who did?

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.