View Single Post
Old 02-28-2002, 08:23 AM   #14
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
names and terminology

I see there is one sensible voice who asks the Japanese sensei's questions, and doesn't create fantasy?

I think we should start using english terminology, then add the japanese terms as we do them. As a bi-lingual custom of politeness, it would be an additional encouragement for those who wish to grasp the cultural crossover. Like most things learned in other languages, you learn things you do, or curse words, which is the second thing I learn ... so you have some concept if someone is saying thank you or #$%##@!

Just imagine you have been sent to a country where you don't know the language? How would your english description of techniques be viewed or interpreted? How long would it take you to learn the language to interpret if your lessons are correctly conveyed?

That is why we begin with immitation, we learn by doing, and we understand by thinking ... all three processes become one in the journey to understand and convey meaning, both to yourself ... and others.

This past week, I went to a seminar that used sounds to knock people out. This brought to mind, some older sensei's who had trained with O'Sensei who were talking about Americans not understanding the extended sounds of Japanese language and the sounds used in Aikido practice. Of course it delved slightly into the sounds that O'Sensei would use to move objects, or interrupt birds in flight, which is visible on an early video of Aikido and O'Sensei.

So with all the mysteries of language, whether it is Tomato, or tomatoe ... just make sure you understand what each other is doing in practice. Cause no matter what you call the technique, it must work, as it has worked for thousands of years ...