View Single Post
Old 02-28-2002, 08:13 AM   #32
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Lineage of teachers

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
I am sorry I have to do this, but Chuck ...

Bruce,

You needn't be sorry about talking about who you are and what your background is in this forum. People here are bright, aware and informed. If you expect to sway folks to your point of view, you're much better off approaching them from that perspective than calling them children and speaking in condescending tones.

As for your age, I will note that, in my 45th year, I have discovered that five decades on this earth do not a wise man make, not two a fool.

I do thank you for providing more info about yourself and will offer this advice in as friendly a fashion as I can (and I only hope you take it this way): Chill out. Even at age 50 and with a few years of budo under your belt, you're still quite a novice when compared to others on this forum.

I personally know a couple of folks lurking hereabouts who are pushing or are just past 50 years on the mat.

I've done budo for 27 years myself and IN know others here ranging from a few years to several deacdes.

If you expect people to take you seriously, you must show them respect, do your research, be prepared to discuss (calmly and rationally, without name-calling or rhetoric) the fact and to facotr in the experiene levels of the folks you're talking to.

Just because you've found a truth does NOT mean it's valid for everyone everywhere.

martial arts, and yeah, you need to a major nervous breakdown to re evaluate your priorities, or at least be leveled with an

You're not the only one. In my own life, in recent years, I've experienced divorce, bankruptcy, loss and depression. And my budo is the one thing that kept me going. And my tale is pretty minor compared to some I know.

I know very senior and well-respected folks in the budo community who have been through all this and worse who STILL are respectful, open-minded, willing to learn, willing to give without judgement. THAT'S what it's all about. THSOE are the lessons to be learned.

illness, as I have had, that almost totally takes you out of the game.

I don't know what you've suffered, but I can only hope (truly) that things are getting better for you. Nonetheless, that does not excuse rudeness, arrogance or a holier-than-thou attitude.

beyond where you are, in your funk, to

Just want to be clear here: _My_ funk or _yours_?

I assure you, my eyes are wide open and my years of experience have tempered my perceptions keenly.

Well, sometimes you have to go find the answers because no one is gonna tell you.

And sometimes, the only paht to knowledge is just to keep training, keep studying, keep learning, keep growing.

One of the most true things I've ever learned in budo is this: There ARE no secrets. It's all there for the taking, if we have eyes to see, ears to hear and a heart capable of taking it in.

So talk about lineage, but what you are seeking is a shortcut.

Not me. Don't NEED a shortcut. I LIKE the journey. Budo study is not about a destination, it's about getting there. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're trying to sell you something or have been misinformed themselves.

Once you are old, you lose that ego thing about big and strong ... the little old man who beats up the muscular guy in his twenties is what you want to be? Right?

Bruce, you're only five years older than I. I am not old. Dunno about you, but I expect to live another 40 or 50 years and be an irascible old coot, to boot.

And I have no need to beat up 20-somethings. Been there, done that. I did the karate thing (trad. and full-contact) when I was young and it was fun, I learned a lot, but it was only a game. I've been a soldier and a healer, and now I'm a teacher and writer and something of a historian myself.

I have nothing to prove except to myself and that road is plenty fo me.

Chuck