View Single Post
Old 02-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #23
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Aikido vs Brazilian Jujutsu

Quote:
Matt Sloan wrote:
I think that many Aikido movements can still be applied while on the ground I speak of Joint locks, locking the foot and knee
Actually not so much. Going for "aikido" moves is often a poor choice. They are not going to work unless uke is seriously controlled which means
1. you've probably done a bunch of ground training to control them in the first place
2. there are better finishing options

I sometimes use Aikido moves (by which I mean finishing techs) on the BJJ mat - but it's usually a sure sign I'm just showing off.
Quote:

, and trying to take uke off balance to gain control.
That's more like it. Only thing is the way you do that while strategically very similar to Aikido is tactically quite different.
Quote:
But if it were a real fight, there are no rules, and I would turn to girl movements, bite, spit, pull hair, claw, and throw dirt in the eye, if that's what I had to do to save my butt.
I don't know about anyone else, but I always find this approach a little amusing. Because iften it comes from people who have spent alot of time training themselves in very sophisticated methods of defence and attack standing. But once you hit the ground that approach is going to go out the window for biting and spitting? If that's effective- why not just take that approach standing as well and stop training altogether?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"