View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #16
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Aikido vs Brazilian Jujutsu

I love that hapikido vs bjj video. Gracies in Action are very interesting to watch. I am always laughing at Rorion narrating it. Very propagantistic, but true at the same time.

I'd counter your argument and say aikido does not need to change and start practicing for these things, if it did, then it would evolve in to BJJ quite rapidily.

It is a different range and focus of training.

You might need to start training that way though. If it is important to you, don't waste time trying to figure out how to do it on your own, find a good BJJ dojo and do what they have already figured out. Why reinvent the wheel?

The way we train aikido teaches some very valuable lessons that I fear would be lost if we changed the focus too much.

Hehehe....yeah I know what you mean about pivoting etc. You might been able to do it, then again, those Gracies are pretty good at what they do and would probably just set you up differently. In the end, unless you are going to run off the mat, which is not an option if the goal is to stay and fight...they are going to get you!

Watch the first UFCs with Royce, remember, they could do all that too, and kick and punch and he still closed the distance and took control.