View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #70
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Sport is the new Budo

Actually, being a judo and a bjj man. I do the see the problem judo has created for itself. It was not the competition that caused the problem though, it was the changing of the rules to prevent outsiders from winning judo competitions. Because of rule changes to beat wrestlers, sambo, non traditional newaza guys or jj guys, and to place nice with Olympic boards, then watered down what was effective into something less effective. In preparing for this upcoming judo competition most of my training was in what was illegal. I had to constantly go over what I couldn't do. This has really highlighted to me the weakness in judo sport vs the art of judo. And why I love bjj competition where a much larger range of things are legal (leg locks, wrist locks, neck cranks, ankle locks, tons of throws that are illegal in judo, etc) However, I fear bjj might eventually head down that same path. I already know people that have never practiced a leg lock in their life simply because it is illegal in white and blue belt competition.

This is even a smaller issue though in MMA. By nature of the mindset behind MMA the only things that are made illegal are things that either A) would cause a large amount of deaths or perminat injurys that can not be recovered from (like blindness) such as striking to the base of the skull or eye gouges, or B) Are really just annoying or disfiguring, but rarely change the outcome of a fight such as scratching at the face, or pinching.

But I think what is to be stressed here has been said a thousand times. You can compete and have budo, but if you do nothing but train for competition, it will be hard to have budo. I personally do not train for competition. I train to improve my ability to fight, only when competitions get close do I switch focus to how to win in competition. Of course I also do not concider what I do to be budo.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein