View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #24
Edward
Thailand
Re: Sport is the new Budo

I agree with you, but I don't see why would someone spend years in Aikido just for the purpose of learning how to fight. Aikido is not a fighting art, if it was, most people in UFC would be learning it. If anyone feels his life is in danger, or if he/she lives in a dangerous neighbourhood, he/she would better buy a gun and learn how to use it. Aikido is effective against attackers for whom you are considered as a victim, such as a robber who is after your wallet or someone who is angry and tries to punch you with full intent. I don't believe Aikido works in sparring, or in face to face combat when both opponents are prepared.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
I imagine they could defend themselves because the deeply understood the full spectrum of martial conflict. Both studied many things prior to the adoption of their ultimate art, and they drew from those skills and experience to define themselves and the perspective they had on training.

what they did ultimately probably had little to do with sparring because they had grown or evolved past that.

Many study what they designed for us, and it might convey the lessons that they wanted us to learn.

The logic does not necessarily follow that becaus O'sensei was proficient at defending himself that you will too studying the aikido he taught.

He was proficient because he was O'sensei, not because he taught aikido.

I believe all of the higher ranking aikidoka I respect and value technique of...actually are proficient in other arts as well....many of them so-called competitive arts.

I think many that come to aikido in the west, that have never studied anything else of substancial value, many times have a very narrow perspective on martial arts and what it can and cannot do...and the strengths and weaknesses of aikido..what it is, and what it isn't.