View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Aikikai Pioneers in Europe

Reading an interesting article written by Mr. Goldsbury in the IAF website I found this:
Quote:
Many of the members of this European Aikido Federation were aikido sections of judo organisations, wherein most of the power was firmly in the hands of the judoists. I do not think that the decision to put aikido under the protection of judo was free of controversy in the Aikikai Hombu, but I certainly do think there was something to be said for it. Mr. Nobuyoshi Tamura, who was the first Japanese representative of the Aikikai to reside in Europe, probably felt that judo groups could provide good organisational support for what was a new and unknown martial art.
This part about Tamura N. being the first Japanese representative of the Aikikai to reside in Europe makes me wonder if other sources about Aikido history like Aikido Journal have erroneous data:
Quote:
Mochizuki stayed for approximately one year and was followed in 1952 by Tadashi ABE who arrived as an official representative of the AIKIKAI HOMBU
Quote:
in 1961 the Aikikai Hombu sent Masamichi NORO, a 6th dan, as its official representative. Noro was assisted by Nocquet in establishing himself in France. In 1962 another Japanese teacher, Mutsuro NAKAZONO, also a 6th dan, followed Noro
Quote:
Then, in 1964, Nobuyoshi TAMURA, also representing the Aikikai, arrived in France where he has lived ever since.
For instance, about Abe T. as first Aikikai representative (Mochizuki M. went to Europe at the request of the Overseas Research Department of Nihon University to teach Judo), this scans from the books written by Abe T./ Jean Zin in the late 50's seems to confirm AJ data.

So, what is the cause of pointing Tamura N. Shihan as first Aikikai representative to live in Europe? Am i missing something?