View Single Post
Old 02-25-2002, 07:48 PM   #18
mle
Dojo: The Dojo (www.the-dojo.com
Naming thread and Newlyweds...

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR

Don't you just hate these newly married types.

Matching track suits, shared internet accounts, sweeeet.
mle:
Hee! yes, we have several things which match by accident, some of which we did on purpose..

Sorry about the confusion about who's who.. I'm the softer spoken one, generally.

Back to topic:
Should Korean judo not be marketed as judo?
Should Gracie jujutsu have its own name?

There's umpty gazillion forms of tae kwan do.

Yes, when we see the word "aikido" we think of the Ueshiba family despite the huge variation in actual form.

But it seems that is kind of like the "band aid" association - referring to stick-on bandages as such is a trademark violation. But everyone calls them that anyway. Same with Kleenex or Xerox.
"Facial tissue" or "photocopy" is a more accurate description, but we get accustomed to the other noises due to marketing saturation.

I would specify that what I do _could_ technically be called aikido, as could judo, or Danzan Ryu, hapkido (do those syllables even make sense in Korean?), chin-na (okay, that's Chinese, for what I don't know) or even tai chi.

The only rule which makes the word "aikido" belong to the Ueshiba is common usage and, quite frankly, marketing.

An educated person should ask, certainly.
If they want Ueshiba's aikido, they can check lineage.. but forgive me, Peter Goldsbury, lineage doth not a good practicioner make. I know you by reading and reputation and can only hope to grab your wrist someday! :-)

I have been taught some questionable things three teachers removed from Ueshiba.
Now, ONE teacher removed, or two, I have seen some fine things. And some very silly things. As I evolve (I've only ten years at this point), perhaps I will develop a more cohesive perspective... but the art is so very fragmented. To only see one view of it, to only experience or acknowledge one style, is to wear very narrow blinders.

My fragmented point being... who is to decide which window into aikido is best?

Each person can only decide for themselves if the softness of Ki no Kenkyukai or Shinshin Toitsu is for them, or the brisk competition of Tomiki, or the intense structure of Yoshinkan.

I would prefer that no one decided for me.

mle