Thread: 31 jo kata
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2002, 10:55 AM   #1
31 jo kata

First Issue
Follow along here:<br>

4) twirly thing (right hand top / right foot forward)
5) shomen (right hand/ right foot)
6) shomen (right hand/ left foot)
7) pivot - strike (shomen?) (right, right)
8) strike (LEFT?, right)

How in the world do you wind up with left hand on top? I've sort of inserted a hand-switch between 7 and 8, but i'm betting there's something way more natural i could be doing.

particular request
What i propose is that somebody submit a revised version of the jo kata page with a short amendment at the end of EACH and EVERY step, with hamni and hand-on-top. Maybe this seems stupid because it should be totally obvious following the recipe(s), but i personally don't get my body enough to make it work right. A little extra notation like this would do wonders, by making sure we are really ARE on the same page.

Second Issue
Is there some subtlety to pivoting that i'm missing here? It seems that i can do a simple blocking exercise fine, say happo-waza, but then you stick a jo in my hand and all of a sudden i've got my legs crossed in a pleasantly unstable position.

Third Issue
How uniform are jo kata across the aikido styles? Sure, diversity's good and all. but sometimes people say blatantly contradictory things. So i was hoping somebody might forewarn me to places where things simply differ, and it's not just me thinking too hard.

[snipity-snip... i had originally yammered on about nothing here... that made me embarassed, so i took it out]

Last edited by kowey : 03-01-2002 at 02:11 PM.