View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #23
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Re: Non-cooperative tanto-dori (Discussion)

Strike.....strike......STRIKE!

IMO, any defense of an open handed defender against a knife wielding attacker that does not include striking is fiction at best. Not to say that I do not train for the perfect moment where the attacker lunges in with minimal skill. This of course is the gravy train but not the real danger. IMO, defending against a knifer requires striking. Strike: the hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, bicep, tricep, body, head, etc. and repeatedly. Please do not assume I mean standing in one place. The defender MUST be moving, ALWAYS and the strikes must be part of the motion, i.e. escape (defend) and counter attacker are done in the same motion. Attempt to do one then the other and it is too slow. Joint locks, take downs, controls, etc. are an opporunity presented for a fraction of a second to be capitalized on but created by correct body postion and striking.

FYI, all strikes are not created equal. Find those that require minimal motion and deliver maximum effectiveness AND fit with your escapes. Good training drills that give the attacker full freedom generally give the best challenge.

Mark J.