View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #20
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Non-cooperative tanto-dori (Discussion)

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
This vid is pretty good at what the participants state it is supposed to achieve. We can see that the tanto wielder is giving his hand to his partner and then the exercise starts, this is not tanto dori as they stated.
I agree. I think I'd characterise this practice as hiketategeiko. The 'hiketate' suggests a kind of gopher - your partner is in a sense running errands for you, in resisting the techniques you try to apply, he's going out of his way to help you practice.

Quote:
Larry wrote:
The knife wielder has many opportunities to throw the empty handed partner via sokumen, irimi nage, shomen ate, ushiro ate and a host of other throws if more hip power and rotational force were used to end the face to face stalemate that happened once both hands became occupied with holding the knife hand and the other arm of the attacker.
He also has a few opportunities to apply the more percussive kind of atemi with his empty hand. Which brings me to this:

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote:
The only chance you may stand is to control the weapon hand so your attacker cannot use the weapon against you or your friends. This is done by grabbing the weapon hand.
I agree with the former, but not the latter. The trouble with grabbing the weapon hand is that you become entirely focussed on that hand. You can see it in the video a few times - toshu's posture goes, as he drops his head and he's actually looking closely at the weapon. The next time you try this drill, I'd suggest that you try keeping at least one hand open, in contact with tanto's arm/hand but not actually gripping it. As far as possible, don't look at the weapon, but look at tanto as a whole person, maybe even making eye contact. That way toshu is still aware of what's going on with the weapon, but also remains alive to the possibility of his own atemi waza - be it percussive atemi as a prelude to some other technique, or atemiwaza in the Shodokan sense, shomenate, aigamaeate, gyakugamaeate (ie: iriminage, sokumen iriminage, etc.)

Quote:
Larry wrote:
Like I said, not a bad vid to illustrate its stated goals. It looks quite familiar to me.
Funny that.
As Larry says, this is pretty familiar to the Shodothugs. There are quite a few drills along these lines, which are particularly useful for people who're interested in getting into some tanto shiai.

The Systema folks have some very interesting drills along these lines too, it might be worth checking out what they do if there's a good group nearby, or maybe getting a look at one of Vladimir Vasiliev's DVDs.

Sean
x