View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Ed Stansfield

Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Wife joining husband in aikido class?

Quote:
John Murray wrote:
I started aikido about 5 years ago, harassed my girlfriend (now my wife) about starting for 3 or 6 months, and gave up on her. About a year after I started, out of the blue, she decided to start, and it's been great for us.
That's quicker than me... Met my partner in '95, started Aikido in '96, got married in '05, my wife started Aikido just before Christmas last year. But it's been great for us too.
Quote:
In the beginning, I purposefully didn't train with her on every technique, with the goal of letting her find her own way on the mat. Until her ukemi was adequate to where she and I didn't worry about her getting hurt so much by abusive beginners, I helped her avoid those people either by training with them or training with her.
I'm not at the "not worrying" stage yet. This is the thing that makes practicing really different when my wife is on the mat.

Quote:
iww wrote:
In the past while dating a girl she decided to join the martial arts class I was in on her own accord. Pretty soon fights at home were brought to the dojo.
Well, obviously after 10 years practicing Aikido I'm so harmonious that we never fight ... ... or perhaps not
The area where I've seen problems is not so much where people are in a relationship, but where that relationship comes to an end . I don't think it made things awkward for the rest of the class, but it made things awkward for them.

Quote:
iww wrote:
Do instructors try to keep couples from practicing together?
My teachers don't prevent us from practicing together, but they would if we never practiced with anyone else.
Quote:
Do you find that it makes for an awkward environment?
Not awkward, but at the moment, for me, different.
Quote:
Or do you really think as long as the couple is mature and keeps home life out of the dojo everything will be fine?
Yes

Best,

Ed

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.