View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Kevin Wilbanks
Re: Mixing Aikido with working out

Clark is right about quality food, but you also need fats - especially good fats. Unless you have bad blood cholesterol problems, low-fat is not really an issue. So long as the fats aren't synthetic trans-fats or damaged fats like overused deep-frying oil, the idea that fats are bad is a myth.

You need to eat omega 3 fats especially - more is being found out about how vital these are all the time. This generally involves taking fish oil pills or making an effort to eat what seem like "special" foods in today's processed and mass-produced food age. The main available foods with decent omega 3 content are wild-caught cold-water fatty fish and grass-fed beef - I have also seen fortified foods like high omega 3 eggs.

In general, the easiest way to distinguish good food from bad is by assessing how processed it is. The fresher and less processed the food is, the better it is for you. Also, generally, the wider the variety in your diet, the better.

As far as the workout regimen goes, I agree that rest days are important. If you feel like things are not healing or you are getting weaker, you may want to group the sessions to make for complete rest days - maybe 2 or 3 per week.

It is virtually impossible to gain muscle mass on the regimen you are describing. Tons of pushups and situps is endurance training, not strength training, and doing too much cardio also inhibits strengthening. If the weakness from you injury is not improving, you may have to cut back on all that massively and do strengthening exercises for a while.

I'd say most people would have to limit intense endurance training to 2 or 3 times per week and do probably 2 low-rep strength workouts per week to expect any kind of gains. Many people are less fortunate and have to severely limit endurance exercise in order to gain strength - some have to pare down to strength workouts and walking alone. Then again, a few people can balloon up on workout regimens that would get most people overtrained, stuck and on the road to overuse injuries in just a few weeks. These things vary widely between individuals, but the main point I'm making is that there is generally a tradeoff between endurance and strength, and when it comes to the strength training itself, high intensity and less volume is generally more effective.