View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: Non-cooperative tanto-dori (Discussion)

Yeesh! What are those guys playing at? I tell you what, you come toward me with your hands extended out in front of you like the big fellow in the clip was doing when I'm attacking you with a knife and I'll be carving up your hands! See how well you disarm me with the flesh of your hands cut to ribbons. Also extending you arms like the big guy is doing exposes wrist and brachial arteries which, if severed, would, in the case of a brachial artery cut, make him bleed to death in about five minutes.

Straining and struggling like these two in the clip were doing with each other does not work in a real knife attack situation. The big guy is way too preoccupied with the knife and the threat it represents to him. YOu can see it in the way he moves. With his mind thus preoccupied he is unable to deal creatively and effectively with his attacker. I'd suggest he forget about getting cut and focus on relaxing, moving past the knife, and dealing with his attacker. As he does this he'll find, in time, that he gets cut less and less without having to struggle for control of the knife. This is the nice thing about training: I can survive my mistakes and learn from them.

Just a few of the many thoughts that sprung to mind as I watched this video clip.

ANd why isn't the big guy using strikes? Very...odd.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."