Old 01-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #22
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Does size matter...

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote:
Larry,
Guess I did misinterpret your post! Sorry.
I so agree with you about the weak becoming "strong" with principle-based martial skills. Again, brute strength is not the card that trumps all, by itself. However, I don't believe that they are an equalizer when you pit said person against a larger, stronger person with comparable skills.
Totally true. Interestingly up to yesterday we dealt with this issue in one of my Jujutsu classes where a beginner male student was getting problems with a technique due to excessive use of upper body strength, while a girl, who was smaller than him and also a beginner of the same level, was able to get it because she was able to grasp the technique and use of total body power quicker than the guy. The waza being practiced was much like Kaiten Nage in Aikido.
Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote:
But fortunately, off the mats the weaker are more likely to encounter those who do not have their skills. That's why, historically, small, weak people have been encouraged to train in martial arts.
Regarding off the mat reality I agree absolutely. In fact in my self protection classes I usually tell my students to assume that the attacker they will most likely encounter will be larger, armed or in greater numbers since in a serious attack the aggressor is not aiming to fight/struggle, but to quickly dominate and make their victim submit to their demands. They will of course start out with force multipliers that they hope will make the attack as easy as possible for them, be it size, strength, weapons etc.

Also regarding the size differential in actual attacks, aggression goes a long way towards assisting the smaller person as well. There are a couple RBSD systems that teach their people to literally explode on their aggressors, making a good, sudden, severe, continuous offense their main form of defence. Often the sheer animal aggression and severity of the response catches larger attackers of guard, placing them on the defensive. With a little bit of training in basic striking etc. this psychological advantage can be exploited to make sure that the attacker never returns to an offensive position as the smaller attacker does not stop until the other is down and no longer moving or has escaped. Of course this may be outside the Aikido realm and more into the RBSD approach to things. In SD it is often said that attitude and mindset is a lot more important than technique.

Fwiw.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca