View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #208
eyrie

Australia
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
The "Unbendable Arm" is supposed to be simply another example of bringing the ground someplace, in this case the arm. If you push down on my arm, you're going to feel the ground, as purely as I can make it. The Ki Society may say something about a hose and water, but their visualization will bring about the same "ground" effect, for the most part. [[Incidentally, I have never liked the 'unbendable arm' demo because there are 3 or 4 ways to do it wrong and still think you've got it. I tend to avoid it because it's not a very definitive demo.]]
My bad.... I clean forgot there are several ways to do this "exercise"... wrongly. Some people have explained it (incorrectly) as the antagonistic action of the bicep and tricep. You can relax the bicep and let the tricep accept the load (which is the WRONG way), and still have an unbendable arm... up to a certain limit.

Letting the force go to ground or bringing the ground to the arm (whichever way you look at it), is, I think, THE point of the exercise. Personally, I think the imagery of hose and water detracts from the real purpose of the exercise.... not to say that mental imagery is not a key component of the exercise, just not the imagery I would use.

Ignatius