View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #203
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
You're worried about the forces that arise from manipulating those joints.
Not forces, per se, but moments, which depend vastly on centering, a big topic in our art. If I can increase moment by an alteration of center I can increase the force required to accelerate the structure. It is not leverage because inertial moments do not need a physical fulcrum to be effectively maniulated. Moreover, I can add moment and disrupt energy, I can reduce moment and magnify it.

When those manipulaitons are capable of energy modulation with compound square terms -- darn-tootin' I worry about them, and consider their uses. Especially, when I see (and feel) the shapes of the rotational manipulations of limbs and integrated body movement in the kihon and kokyu tanden ho exercises, as I have described, which are the repositories of the art.

Nikkyo stops a punch with the free hand not by pain or compression to hold him off, but by eliminating the torso moment of the punch by a connected shift of the shoulder nikkyo is connected to arcing forward. Both shoulders cannot rotate forward at the same time, and the rotation powering the punch dies, and also sucks his balance away, by altering his center.

Understanding this prinicple through nikkyo, I can destroy the mechanics of the punch and his balance simultaneously with the same principle from a hand grab (Tohei demonstrated this in a video) , or merely with my hand on his shoulder, or even merely with my hip in contact with his. That movement what ever you choose ot call it is a basic skill, only the circumstance of connection differs.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
The "internal strength" aspects are more concerned with the connective tensions that unite the whole structure ... ... greatly different from you idea of rotational accelerations.
The difference is freely admitted. Can you show that such a system is less complicated than the model I support? Relaxed structural rotations in rhythm with structural breath actuation applied tangetially or perpendicular to structures and forces of concern. Is there any square term that will allow geometric magnification or dissipation of energy in your model?
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
... it gets more complicated because the body has to learn to move with this dependence on the cohesiveness of the "connection" of the body and also on the mind's ability to learn how to move with the addition of the mind-willed force vectors ...
Saotome wrote: "Instead of separating the techniques for study, we must study to see their similarities, the same application of principle, the same philosophical result. There is no perfect ikkyo, but any ikkyo is correct if executed spontaneously, sincerely, and in harmony with a particular situation."

Doing it, I generally do not dwell at all, if I can help it. Analyzing it afterward is a different matter. In my experience it gets simpler to do, the more capable I am of seeing the complexity, if I dwell on it, contemplate what was going on, and breaking it down in to more and more fundamental elements in common with many circumstances of interaction. It is one way to see if my mind was paying full attention as I was doing something. This is the Western Way of knowledge -- reduction, and it is admittedly incomplete -- as the Eastern Way of composite wholes is also incomplete.

I am articulating a root mechanical dynamic in Western terms but that does not conflict with other Eastern mode descriptions in holistic terms. O Sensei specifcally recommended this development in the art in scientific terms.

Such an approach can be right, with out traditional jin, ki, kokyu, or musubi concepts being wrong. I may well be wrong, and maybe someone will show that. I have been wrong before, so it doesn't particularly concern me if something closer to the truth comes to light as a result of a challenge to prove me wrong.

Mechanics is hardly all there is to aikido. A root mechanical principle is something to look for in the study of aikido, especially when talking about basic skills training such as kokyu tanden ho.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.