View Single Post
Old 08-13-2000, 07:26 AM   #1
not to raise more controversy about the polls, but I was wondering how some people responded to this week's.

I personally responded "no." Why, do you ask, would I dislike working with beginners? Well, in my opinion, I 'like' working with them, however, being very much a beginner myself, I feel that there is simply not much information I can impart to them without it sounding hypocritical. For instance, I do have enough experience to know what a correct ikkyo looks like and how it is done, but I do not have enough experience to pull off a correct ikkyo 7 times out of 10, therefore causing me to be bound with explaining them.

Don't get me wrong, I love training with beginners, because not too long ago I was where they were (in fact, not long ago at all). I just feel that perhaps they'd get better teaching and better time utilization from a sensei than from myself.

Any thoughts?

Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."