View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #63
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom
Re: Top Ten Reasons you STAY with Aikido

i started aikido to learn how to turn my brother's technique against him (i think he believes little sister to be a direct translation from perfect uke) but i stayed because of the people, you chat and laugh and have fun while working out and learning to defend yourself which for me is important simply because of the bullying i suffered most of my young life, but also aikido (and a few certain aikidoka) has/have gotten me through some rough times, the one time i'll always remember was the day of my nana's funeral, we got home with enough time for me to grab my bag and go to aikido if i wanted, i wasn't sure i wanted to but i couldn't be in the house, i got to training and one of my friends there took one look at me and told me "you don't have to train if you don't want to, you can just watch" but i wanted to train, so he kindly, gently and caringly beat me to a pulp, and showed me the most effective ways to beat him and others to a pulp, then took me for beerwaza. i was still upset but i felt ok afterwards, something like that makes you want to stay, i only wish i'd had aikido, and that network of friends a few years previously, maybe aikido is what kept me sane at the time, and the lack of aikido is why i got so messed up a few years previously.

but all in all, top ten reasons to stay with aikido, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people and the people.

(oh yea, and from my first session i decreed that i wouldn't stop till i had hakama, and when i get them i swear i'll wear them for a week)