View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #117
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

It dawns on me that I can't explicatively tell you where you're missing your guesses on what he's doing, Erick, without being drawn into a needlessly off-topic discussion. I'll say this... it's a lot more complex than you realize. Just try generating appreciable forces (true, his Uke is not a model of resistance, but there are a couple of the bounces that tell you quite clearly Uke's distance was more from Sum's power than anything Uke could have done) like that on your own. In some cases, with the amount of power some of these guys can produce, it isn't just hokey to learn to "hop", particularly if Nage has his hand on your chest. Bones break.

The main point is that I doubt you could come close to generating the amount of power using your weightshifts and turns that simply weren't there. In fact, I know you couldn't. I certainly couldn't and my body is fairly well conditioned. Secondly, without a focused path from the ground that directly connects to Uke's hand, etc., the bounce would be puny indeed.

But let's say, just rhetorically, that Master Sum is somehow deriving his power from imperceptible turns. The smaller the turns, the greater the tensile stress needed to effect reasonable power. That implies some kind of conditioning that is unusually effective. Without the turns, but doing something else (I've already laid out the basics in other posts), there still is the need for some sort of unusual conditioning. The point I'm making is that one of the baseline skillsets we're talking about is the beginning of that type of conditioning (although Aikido never took it as far as Yiquan takes it).

The thing you have to look at (and the reason I used Master Sum's version of the same tricks Ueshiba is doing) is that these are powerful movements yet with almost no substantial movement of the joints. Just "weight shift" won't do it. And BTW, I will say this... the small "weight shifts" are almost side-effects of what he's actually doing, so you're focusing on the wrong thing.

In a way, this "bouncing" is a "ki trick". And voila', Ueshiba used the same ki trick because it exhibits ki strength. Your idea that the bouncing uses 'resistance' and therefore it's not part of Aikido would mean that atemi is not part of Aikido either, because it goes directly into the opponent. Real atemi, BTW, uses the type of power that Ueshiba and Sum are using, not just normal punches. We're just talking about baseline skills, remember, that apply in all movement at all times.

So just from the size of the movements, you can tell that rotation, while it can be stretched to maybe conform to a lot of situations, does not really apply here. Instead of revolving parts in a body (which, granted, are part of many techniques, but we're not talking about techniques and the forces they impart), you need to start thinking of Aikido as being a sphere from which direct forces bounce away and which indirect forces cause to turn... IMO. "Resistance" doesn't apply if things bounce away.

Regards,

Mike Sigman

Last edited by Mike Sigman : 01-18-2007 at 04:28 PM.