View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #94
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
I think you may have an exaggerated sense of the difference between "ours" "yours" or "theirs" in approaches on this point, Ron. The totality of my exposure to Yoshinkan is about six or eight classes over a two year period in Yokosuka while on periodic Navy instructor travel. Enough only to intrigue as to the distinctions of focus, really. I don't think I picked up these observations there.
Perhaps...some stress the difference in terms of methodology only, and I don't necessarily disagree with that. But there are differences in focus, kamae, buki waza, blocking vs no blocking (really should be thought of as yokeru, in both cases), hip posture...all kinds of things. It is a complicated subject, and not easily discussed without specific variances in mind, as well as how individual teachers, apart from "style" and organization, seek to grow their students along the specific path the instructor invisions.

I have *some* experience with Kokikai, Iwama, ASU, Mainline Daito ryu and independants in Aikido and Daito ryu. My main exposure is to Doshinkan aikido as taught by Yukio Utada. While an IYAF dojo, there is more diversity in the Yoshinkai than some might think.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)