View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #81
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Crazy Ki demonstration by Barrish Sensei

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
One of the things that has really struck me with systema is the extent to which people will almost foam at the mouth in their efforts to de-bunk the system but they refuse to get on the mat with any of the top people. Folks have a lot of investment in hanging on to their notions of what works and what doesn't.
I'm not interested in either bunking or de-bunking Systema, frankly. It's interesting and there are some guys in it that can fight, etc., but my comment mainly has been that I don't see how Systema has much relationship, if any, to what Aikido does (any more than any other martial art). The point was really the video tape showing no-touch manipulation at a distance. Even to the point of slamming one guy back down on to the mat with a 2-handed gesture. My question is.... do you think these no-touch things are real and applicable in a martial situation. I.e., do the techniques on that video represent real stuff, as opposed to the hokey stuff done by Peter Young in his video clips? It's a potentially interesting conversation.

Just for the fun of it, go to Youtube and do a search on Derren Brown and some of his filmed exploits of "mind control". He has a keen interest and ability in these things and how they're done to people. You might find it very interesting to approach the "energetics" stuff from that perspective.
All the Best.

Mike