View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #68
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
Nope, we're not talking about tactical responses - of which irimi/tenkan is. This is even more BASIC than that. We're talking "kihon" in the purest sense... i.e. tanren.
Irimi/tenkan is a principle, not a tactic. It applies at the level of whole body dynamics or at the level of joints or at point of connection. My only objection to any of this, by the way, is the resistant training to ground out forces.
Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
In Ellis' words, uh... good response for the Art of Peace... hit them.... I think you're missing the point.
Paradox troubles you, does it? I didn't say how he would be hit or with what -- just that he would receive his energy back, as much as my art makes possible, undiminished by any resistance. Why? To resist I have to absorb a portion of the energy myself -- even if I am merely a conduit of that force to the ground. Hammer-horsehoe-anvil is not the idea of aiki I was given.
Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
BTW... it's equal and opposite, zero sum equilibrium....
Distinction without difference. Aikido is not negation -- it is participation. It is definitely not resistance.
Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
can you do kokyu ho in space?
Yes, conceptually. But why would you want to?. We need to ask the dojo-cho for the ISS, maybe ?? Divers and gymnasts do it all the time altering orientation in three axes in midair without any reaction contact, whatsoever. If you can do it with one body properly connected, you can do it with two bodies properly connected.

Ooops, Sorry. Told Mike I wouldn'tt talk about that ....

Last edited by Erick Mead : 01-16-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.