View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #24
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Stealing techniques

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
I think one needs a certain (baseline? ) level of observation skills in order to steal... er... I mean... see "beyond technique".
Yeah, although, I really was only offering the videos to show the same thing that Ueshiba did is easy to find in other arts, implying that the information is available more than would be supposed by the average Aikidoist. In terms of "stealing" those bounce techniques, you're right... it's not that simple if you don't already have the baseline knowledge. In fact, if you have the baseline knowledge you may or may not be able to spot all that went into O-Sensei's version of it and it would be just about impossible to understand (even with baseline knowledge) what Master Sum had in his version, unless someone showed you those types of add-ons.

Hmmmmmm.... this gets more complicated than I thought. I would probably still have to tell the average Ki-Society person how to do the same bounce that Ueshiba Sensei did because I doubt they know how to use that particular facet of the baseline information. Hmmmm. Yet even the complex methods still rely on the baseline information and we could generalize by saying that both Ueshiba and Sum used the kokyu/jin force coming from the ground to accept and then reply at an advantageous angle to the incoming force.

The problem with an ordinary observer just watching and trying to "steal" the technique is that you can't see the manipulation of the force angles... all you can see is the external movement of the body. Also, you can't see the conditioning of the body and what is going on inside the body's connective structure.

Gernot mentioned once about Abe Sensei and getting the "hardness" in the abdominal area out to the hands.... no one can actually "see" what Abe Sensei is doing when he demonstrates these things, so as a result not many people actually get it. You can't steal the technique easily if you can't see the invisible parts.

Regards,

Mike