View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 AM   #16
eyrie

Australia
Re: Stealing techniques

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
In other words, most of what we've argued back and forth about for many months and many threads has been about missing and necessary *basic* information.... I enjoy these discussions about basics and I would be happy to see more of the ki-type body mechanics become widely known to Aikido students, but there are areas of things I don't even publicly hint at (even on QiJing) because I want to be able to choose who I give things to.... it's just human nature to do things like that, I think.
Which is the point I'm making, that some element of having to figure it out for yourself still remains. But I do get your point, one shouldn't be required to steal what is basic and necessary... The issue is - what is the *basic* and *necessary* information that's missing.... if you don't know what's missing (or that anything is missing) how would you know what you're missing?

You've mentioned this several times before, where we might be discussing some point regarding some aspect of the "basics", and even though some of us may respond "oh yeah, we do that too", it is not necessarily representative of any real understanding of what the "basics" are.

So, what needs to happen here? Do we need to go "outside" to "get it"... knowing full well that we may have to resort to "stealing" from someone else as well? Or do we stay and figure it out in the hope that sensei favors us enough to divulge the necessary information?

Quote:
What I mean is that even if you "steal a technique", knowing how and doing it will often require a lot of work to condition your body, your hara, your "connection", whatever, to the point of doing it.
Not disputing this. Usually, those that are able to steal techniques, are usually the ones that already do so. Yang Cheng Fu comes to mind... Helio Gracie spent 6 years watching his brother teach...

On the flip side, "perfect" practice makes perfect... half knowing something or not knowing it at all and having that practice ingrained is a complete waste of time and effort.

Ignatius