View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #23
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Backward Roll - Risks and benefits

Quote:
Why stop at constant vigilance that nage might pounce on you after every throw?
Why not indeed? Some styles maintain focus and kamae throughout...the waza is not considered completed until both partners are back in kamae and about 6 feet apart after the ukemi.

Quote:
What if they grab hold of your testicles and try to tear them off as you go down?
While I haven't seen this one, I have had partners reverse me when I throw when I don't pay attention to certain details of position and balance. So I get tossed. Same for breaks in attention.

Quote:
What if they quickly whip out a knife from their gi and try to slice open you abdomen as they throw?
I've known people who have trained with a tanto onboard, and whipped it out to make just such a point.

Quote:
What if they secretly conspired with another dojo member to break from training with their partner, run over and attack you while you are falling?
One of the preperations for yudansha tests is that you walk into the dojo, and suddenly a senior is striking you with a padded shinai. You are supposed to evade. The idea is to show just this sort of awareness.

Quote:
What if they contracted a hit man to break through the front door with an assault rifle? Are you keeping all this in mind every time you practice an ikkyo? It's ridiculous.
I actually had an instructor (while making a point that what we train in is not warfare) who brought in a rifle wrapped in a blanket (disabled) and asked who thought they were well prepared to defend themselves. I don't find the idea of being alert and focused during training rediculous at all. I think it's a good idea, if not carried to paranoia. I believe you may have misinterpreted Peter's intent and meaning.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)