View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #21
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Irimi or Omote?!!!

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
Your 16 are created by adding outside and inside to the basic eight as laid out by Jun, which I also follow. So, where do your 16 come from? Who told you that? 16 were mentioned in that interview, but they were not laid out.
I said as much. No one has ever, to my knowledge, authoritatively set forth what the 16 were. But he did say that, he gave two phases of movement in technique -- receiving/sending. He founded the art on basic movements of irimi/tenkan. Omote/ura define the orientation of the basic irmi movement. Tenkan movements are described for a number of techniques in variants I was taught as being uchi or soto mawari. I just put it all together to see if it cohered systematically, and lo and behold, it does, so far. And it comes to 16 variations, like he said. And useful, too. I have heard no one else put together 16 variations differently, but would love to hear if they have.
Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
I mean, you could add left and right - which we all do anyway - and then it'd double again to 32. And so on.
One would not need to add left/right to the scheme, because it is already within in the uchi/soto turn orientation. Orientation of turn is more fundamental than left/right parity. That's why it really doesn't matter where your feet are placed at the point of attack for any tehcnique.

I can turn the body counterclockwise equally by emphasis on the advancing hip or on retracting the other. The eccentricity shifts slightly by doing that, which can be exploited to great effect. Both forms of the turn are in the same direction -- counterclockwise.

One emphasis may be counterclockwise either right or left, depending on body placement, but the clockwise/counterclockwise orientation would determine the uchi/soto question for that body placement. Given a different placement and the correspondence of right/left to uchi/soto would again be different. So the uchi-soto distinction is more generally applicable and mechanically meaningful regardless of the direction of turn or which side of the body is emphasized in a given placement.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 01-11-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.