View Single Post
Old 02-17-2002, 01:08 PM   #2
Brian H
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Smile Only fools are not affraid.

I accept the risk that martial arts are dangerous and the world as a whole is full of risk. I was reading some quotes from Teddy Roosevelt that maybe on point:

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
THEODORE ROOSEVELT

"We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done." - Theodore Roosevelt

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Theodore Roosevelt

Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time.

Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, "Certainly I can!" - and get busy and find out how to do it.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out where the strong man stumbled, or where a doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and who comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause. The man who at best knows the triumph of high achievement and who at worst, if he fails, fails while daring greatly, so that his place will never be with those cold timid souls who never knew victory or defeat."
---Teddy Roosevelt

Last Quote from TR (who if I'm not mistaken was give afew Aiki-jutsu leasons):

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt

Quotes from:
http://www.cp-tel.net/miller/BilLee/...Roosevelt.html