View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: When is it time to step in?

Quote:
Aran Bright wrote:
I once trained in Hapkido, yes Aikido's distant korean cousin, and at the time of doing my first grading I had to sign an oath. It stated, amongst other things, that I would act with courage in the face danger. This meant that if I saw someone weaker than I in trouble, I would help. And I don't just mean helping with the groceries.

This has stuck with me more than any other moral standard I have wanted to up hold in MAs as I believe it is the most difficult judge.

There are many discussions about what is the right and wrong thing to do in a fight, but I wanted to know, when is it the right time to step in, to intervene?

Aran
I don't know the answer to your question. If I did, I doubt I'd put it any better than any of the previous posters. However, I think I can add some insight.

I wonder if the reason that you have a hard time feeling the right time and circumstances to step in isn't the same reason that you hold tight to the idea of "getting" to step in. I'm not saying that intervening in someone else's business is universally wrong, but being a legend in my shower is a favorite pastime of mine.

Being a hero is very rewarding.

Also, I don't know if it's just me or if it's universal, but I found that the lessons I've taken from instructors are far more reaching than technique. When I was instructed by someone who was arrogant, I became more arrogant. When instructed by someone more politically savvy, I became more politically savvy (not perfect or good, but better).

Maybe that Hapkido instructor was teaching you more than technique.