View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
MM
United_States
Re: Ueshiba, Takeda, & 1921 - What happened?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Edit time ran out

Another way to look at it is.....It was suggested that the Aiki component was so profound the art should be called by the later part of its very own syllabus "Aikijujutsu."
I think that's more probable, and fits Occam's rule a bit more easily than chasing scenarios clues through the snows of Hokkaido.
Further it gives the credit where it is due.
I am working on the P.M.

Dan
Hi Dan,
I agree that Daito-ryu never changed. My take on this is more of a "name" slant. I didn't mean that the art had changed such that it warranted a name change. I meant that something happened that caused Takeda to change the art's name. There was aiki in Daito ryu before the name change and after. So, why didn't the name get changed before? Why did it take a visit (and it seems it was the very first visit) to Ueshiba at Ayabe under Deguchi influence to change the name? Doesn't that seem weird to you? Takeda didn't like Deguchi. Ueshiba caught in the middle of both. And under those conditions, Takeda changes a name?

When you talk about Aikido history, this event is the conception for the name, "Aikido". Doesn't mean the art ever changed, really. But something did happen there. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed really weird.

Let me try another angle. Put techniques aside. Maybe Ueshiba experimented and changed something, maybe he didn't. Doesn't really matter. What matters is that Takeda has taught Daito-ryu seminars in a lot of places. He's met a lot of people and had some "star" students. But, then at a point in time (1921-ish), Takeda shows up and meets Ueshiba and Deguchi. Doesn't matter what is really being taught or how. But something happens that causes Takeda to change his art's name to aikijutsu.

I just wondered if anyone had any other information that might shed light on that meeting between the three. Why Takeda allowed the addition of aiki to jutsu?

Thanks,
Mark