View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Min Kang
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States
Re: "Proactive" Aikido?

Kevin, good to hear from you. The reason I posted was mainly because I came around your recent posts and appreciated the give and take.

Hope Lee's doing well (still as inflexible as ever? lol).

I was trying to use the wrist grab illustration as a means to discuss the mindset behind "doing Aikido" in a practical sense.

I always thougth that Aikido was great at demonstrating the essential elements behind martial arts - the use of time/distance and placement - the whole "being in the right place at the right time" concept without which it doesn't matter how quick, strong and skilled you are at striking.

I mean, the human body works the same way regardless of the martial art: you use the hard bits to hit the soft bits; and bend the joints the direction it doesn't go

But I haven't really fully understood the initial timing the sense that "connection" starts before the physical engagement. That's something I'm trying to think through.

BTW, since you come across a lot of young bucks who do martial arts: Is it my imagination or has TKD become seriously diluted?

They that have power to hurt and will do none,
That do not do the thing they most do show,
Who, moving others, are themselves as stone ...