View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 01:20 AM   #21
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: The MOST important technique?

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
The logical extension of this idea is that in order to practice to a level that you'll be ready for "real" fighting, you'll not only fail frequently, you'll also get injured frequently. If the punch you get clobbered by doesn't damage you when you don't get out of the way, it wasn't a very real one - same for attempts to break limbs, damage joints, etc... For this reason, there's a definite limit to how far I want to take realism in training. I have enough injury trouble as it is.
I take your point here. It's not necessarily a case of doing mma style training, my point holds true even within our usual training paradigm. How often do you see dan grades being hit with a shomen uchi because they're experimenting with their timing etc
Quote:
I agree though that if uke goes down every time and you never get hit or reversed, the training is too easy, too basic - at least for my taste. I wouldn't say that in an absolute sense though, as many people seem to get what they are looking for out of training that you and I might find wimpy, and I know there are people who find my preferred level wimpy.
I agree. People derive a great deal of satisfaction and personal development from trainning that is very unmartial. Which is well and good, provided everyone is honest about what they are doing I have zero problem with it.
Quote:
I would also prefer more room for creativity in training than many or probably most Aikido places endorse. I like to experiment a lot - even with things that may end up being dumb or unmartial - and I would rather change technique and try something more appropriate in an instance where the one I tried to do isn't going to work than force it or just quit and start over. I don't mean degenerating into goofing off or ignoring the instruction, but sometimes. I had pretty good latitude to do this at my home school, but it seems to be an exception among schools I have visited.
Exactly. I think this is part of what I've been trying to get at. It's like we spend a bunch of time practicing scales but never get to improvise our jazz as it were. And I find myself in the unusual position of disagreeing with Kevin L. We spend so much time in formal classes I think saying "it's up to you to go and take that stuff and integrated it" is not acceptable. I think Kevin W as hit on it - there should be more "unstructured" time in classes to allow for more open practice.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"