View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 08:13 AM   #18
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: The MOST important technique?

I am doing a bunch of experimenting these days.

I am fortunate to be in charge of training at one of the Army's premier Combative Training Centers.

In terms of martial training, I have a pretty big budget and little risk of liability, and a pool of soldiers willing (for the most part), to train.

We try and prepare guys for realism as best as possible. It is expensive, time consuming, yes, you can get injuries (people to end up in the hospital or on the injured list from time to time), and did I say expensive.

To train properly you have to use what I call a layering strategy. You simply cannot train totally realistically or people get hurt and there is no learning.

Layering might be practicing BJJ ground skills, practicing boxing skills, going to the range and practicing CQM skills. Occassionally we will pull out the armor and padded suits and go NHB. For those that are interested in refining things, I might work on some aikido drills to encourage relaxation, breathing, timing, distance etc.

I am in the process of getting a couple of 100 thousand dollars worth of gear from Blauer along with training from them.

We send our instructors through 4 levels of trainng that is about three months at 40 hours per week....

So what is the point I am making.....

We are STILL not able to train to perfection, it takes a butt load of time, and a butt load of money to create the ultimate warrior. Money and time that most of us don't have.

I think what Kevin Willibanks is saying is pretty good. I think we have to recognize that we are not going to be able to train ideally, but yet, we can certainly improve the way we train a great deal through creativity and experimentation.

I think we need to go into the dojo, listen to our instructors, don't interupt, train, and then go home and assimilate it into our own genre. I think everyone has a responsibility to do this. We must take someone elses lessons and figure out a way to make it our own art.

No two people will be exactly the same. In the end we will all have our own style, our own way of doing things, and our own opinions.

In my current training, I like the way we are doing things...A couple of us get together and train regularly, we have no sensei, but work out our things together as a collective group. It does seem to work, we are all open for criticism and exploration. In the 2 years I have been doing this, we have not really degenerated into just a bunch of guys doing what we want to do, but we are moving forward to a common goal of martial refinement.