View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 02:55 AM   #22
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: What's in a yonkyo?

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
I recently bought Doshu's new tape-the last one which shows oyo waza and some kihon waza. He demonstrates yonkyo on the tape.

He seems to use the mechanical leverage with the application of pressure points in two ways: one on the forearm bone along the radius near where the course of the radial nerve runs and two with his supporting hand he presses his thumb into the wrist.

Personally, I like to use both the mechanical and the pressure point only I add a complex torque to the wrist to accentuate access to the nerve either via a sankyo or mawashi wrist bend. This seems to expose the nerve or bone-whatever hurts by moving some of the tendons out of the way.

Kevin,

I sort of do it John's way. I originally learned it by applying pressure to the radius bone, and it was very effective. But on day, I was doing Yonkyo to someone whose arms were extremely thick, and this person was extremely strong. Now mind you, I'm pretty strong myself, but Aikido is not about how strong you are. Anyway, my instructor came over and he knew exactly what I was trying to do. He showed me how to gain control and cut the person down by using the "sword cutting version" first. I was able to do it everytime, no matter how much he resisted. I was told to do it that way first, in order to gain control, and once I was ready to apply the pin, to apply it the way I was first taught.

In addition, I might add, you really need to do a lot of Bokken cuts and "ringing" the Bokken handle at the end of your cut. This will give power to the point on your hand that actually applies pressure to the radius bones. People who don't practice weapons generally do not have proper grip for this technique.