View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom
Re: The MOST important technique?

Martial arts in general but Aikido especially are abstract. You need to remember that there are many layers to Aikido. The closest you get to practical technique is kata, which yes is choreographed so that you can learn the technique easily.
A lot of Aikido training is just (as I see it) exercises which at first glance make no sence but which teach you things, mai-ai, timing, body movement, breathing, which help you perfect the kata. Ultimately though the wackyness all teaches something useful even if it isn't immediately recognisable just what it is you're being taught or how that relates to the rest of the art.

Figuring out how to use Aikido techniques (which you learned by doing kata) against a resisting opponent is left up to you for some reason, but I figure the whole thing works like judo, you set up your opponent with one technique and bring them down using their resistance with another technique. Not sure if it's meant to be like that but it works for me.

This, I figure, is where all your ki, harmonising, blending of energies and all your "pseudo-erotic" stuff comes in, simply because I can't see where it would come into play in kata; after their attack uke is perfectly stationary, so to be in harmony with them you should also be perfectly stationary, not swinging them around in a circle and dumping them on their behind.
In Judo randori there is harmonisation and redirection and so that forms my basis of my understanding of how Aikido should be used in a practical sense.

Or maybe I'm just doing a wacky form of Judo.