View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #252
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: How to teach and train relaxation

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote:
My point is that these guys are not the only ones who see the value of internal skills and work hard to cultivate them. The three teachers I have the privilege of working with now have independently found merit in the ideas expressed in these discussions.
That's good, but let me tell you my perspective, just for the fun of it. Many hundreds of years ago (at least Tang Dynasty), even though a lot of the information was reserved for "those in the know", this basic stuff we're talking about was so well known that most styles had it. What they began to do was compete among each other and different styles began to develop their own versions of "the smartest way to do this stuff so that we get more power than the other guys."

Right now, most western version of Asian martial arts have been pretty blind (or at least highly limited) about this kind of movement skills. So we're having this surreal fist-fight among and with a lot of people about whether such a thing even exists or not.

That means that we're just watching the entre' to the final chapter, by any means. Wait until the discussion comes around to "the best way to do it".

I'm staking my position, BTW, on the idea that Ueshiba used the very soft approach as preferable. But that's just Aikido. The interesting part is what the other arts really should be doing and how this will all come together among all the Asian arts in the end. A really good indicator came, IMO, from Ushiro Sensei, who already sees the way it's all going and who has begun sharing some things with Aikido. That was a very positive step forward.

My thoughts.

Mike Sigman