View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #114
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido?

I started a thread in the open forums regarding models of human structure - that way that topic can be argued, and this more philosophical thread can go on unhindered.

To that end: Erick Mead said:
Quote:
I'll start with O Sensei as an indisputable foundation and work outward contingently on any reasoned disputes that arise from that point.
Erick, this statement is quite disputable - anything you read that OSensei wrote is thrice removed from reality:

He experienced what he experienced - then

1. he had to think about it
2. he had to write what he thought about
3. what he had thought about and written about had to be translated into English

I think I offended Ledyard Sensei with a line of thought, but I'll continue in the spirit of inquiry - (my wife warns me I pick fights both because I like to fight, and because I have trouble with authority. she is correct).

Sensei Ledyard, I apologize if my tone was insulting. I am a student in earnest of the truth. I honor your service to aikido and to we students who follow after you.

To continue:
If 'OSensei' is the boundary of your aikido then I think you dishonor his legacy. To proceed I must hold my lamp before me - to light my way. If I hold my lamp behind me - I will cast a shadow over my path. To truly embrace OSensei's legacy - we must let go of him as a person.

Can we not pick a few basic tenets of his, and proceed from there? I have a personal commitment to nonviolence. It has cost me, but I consider OSensei's training a continuation of the basic training in this idea I received from my Sensei in judo. Every tenkan I do is a life I spare. Every irimi I do and do not kill - I spare a life, and save myself from prison - a decision I made in the real world at least once.

This is what his legacy means to me - not embodied in he, but alive in me, and carrying on the great man's ideas in my (woefully inadequate) training, and my life.

david