View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #101
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido?

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
While I can see how one can argue that aikido is not a martial art, I like my sensei's statement that aikido is a martial art and more. It's the more that confuses us.
Besides:
Quote:
Kanshu Sunadomari wrote:
"This budo is both martial art and religious faith."
The founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, spoke these words directly to me in 1942, when I was his live-in apprentice [uchideshi].
Preface pg. XXIII "Enlightenment through Aikido"
His English translator went on to explain:
Reverend Andrew Ellis wrote:
A phrase often repeated throughout the text is,"Aikido is both a martial art and a religious faith," which is what the Founder stressed. ... The meaning is not that Aikido is another religion like the great religions of the world or the strange cults that often spring up from them. It is a religious faith. It is not a dogma or a set of beliefs or a form of worship. It is an all-encompassing belief in the victory of love and a harmony that unites our hearts with the loving heart of the universe. Call it god, or karma, or whatever, but it is living and continually challenges us to face up to the evil in the world and to do our best to help the good win.
Now see, I am a very traditional Catholic with strong background in East Asian thought. I have no problem with a bit of that. Nor does the Church, other than a side comment on the fullness of the revelation of truth. What is the confusion?

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.