View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #20
MM
United_States
Re: Ki-Society Workshop in Denver, Dec 06

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I've still been mulling this over, Craig (and others). The more I think about the approach I saw in Denver, the more I'm convinced that Tohei's approach is markedly more from Tempu Nakamura's non-martial Shin Shin Toitsu Do in its approach to Ki, than it is related to a more normal martial approach like O-Sensei used. I've been ticking off in my head all the approaches I've seen in various Japanese martial arts, numerous Chinese martial arts, etc., and I can think of *some* that use related "relaxation" approaches, but none quite like this. Tohei's approach to the ki strengths is more from a civil, "qigong" type origin, it appears to me. Maybe that explains the vagueness, to some degree, as not being purely of Tohei's invention. I don't know. What I do know is that when I quit comparing Tohei's approach with all the martial approaches I know and I start comparing it to qigong approaches, it clicks.

I'm just throwing this idea out there to express an opinion that I thought was interesting.

Regards,

Mike
Mike,
Since you're mulling things over and since I know little to nothing about Tohei's background, where do you think he got his "ki" ideas from?

I guess that question is open to everyone.

Mark