View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 PM   #72
Erick Mead
 
Erick Mead's Avatar
Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
Location: West Florida
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,505
United_States
Offline
Re: How to teach and train relaxation

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Well, I think the major error you're making is that you think the ki things are purely aspects of normal body-mechanics.
No one has demonstrated that they are not. Unique uses of normal body mechanics in a relaxed mode, but not abnormal body mechanics.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
The real problem is that there is an element of fascial structures involved in what the ki things do. It's not just the bone and muscle mechanics involved in the equation of Ki... there are some intereactions between the fascial structures, the autonomic functions, and so forth.
Your theory is outrunnning your facts. If it has a bearing on the mechanics of relaxed but dynamically active structures, that needs some mechanical description. It is not enough to observe that bones and tendons have some affinity to tensegrity structures when they also have rotary and torsional joints. A mechanical description must capture and explain those degrees of freedom in its operaiton.

You have an impression that makes sense for your training imagery, which is fine. Whatever works. I am not addressing the pysycho-somatic efficiency. There is much to do there that I cannot address.

I assume that the mechanism of relaxed adpatation is dynamic, non-linear and actively controlled. I assume it is relaxed and yet still capable of bearing loads.

I do not assume that the system is static or linear. I am working on the mechanical model that the adaptive system is actually working on to adapt. An objective mechanical description may enable other means of impoving training or explaining technique.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Maybe if you attempted a simpler analysis to make your point, as a starter,
Good one. Ki -- simple analysis. Hah. You have one of those ?
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
... and explained to some of the people who attended Ushiro Sensei's workshop what it was that they felt that was so odd in some of Ushiro's pushes, pokes, and other techniques? It would be a good start.
It is forever beyond me to explain to someone else what THEY felt. I can make a stab an objective model that explains all the forces and motions that are evident, if someone will kindly describe in detail the forces and motions that they experienced.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
As it is, your analysis makes no differentiation between normal body mechanics and the mechanics of "ki".
If someone would kindly provide the latter I will be happy to address differences, if any come to light. It is my working assumption that there are not any, just a very critical regime of ordinary mechanics, and an art of dynamic adaptive control.

In other words, I think the power of your methods lies, not in your assumed mechnics, but in the psycho-somatic process you use, to which any connection to actual mechanics may be completely irrelevant, as it is for singing coaches, the imagery is all you need for qualitative adjustments. I don't agree with the ends you put it to in terms of aikido, but I have no basis to contest its effectiveness in its own terms otherwise.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 12-14-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
  Reply With Quote