View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #68
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: How to teach and train relaxation

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
I implement it every night I am in the Dojo and will again tonight. I will try to make these things a bit more organized, however, in written form.

He just was not mechanically-minded. Biomechanically, an intuitive genius, but not capable or interested in Western analytical mechanics. He had great respect for it and advocated scientific approaches to his budo. He said so in Budo Renshu. He simply was not up to doing it himself.
Well, I think the major error you're making is that you think the ki things are purely aspects of normal body-mechanics. I.e., there is this conceit that now in modern times we've explained everything and nothing new can come along. I believe the U.S. Patent Office once closed in the early 1900's because of that same type of conceit... everything under the sun that could be invented had been invented, so they thought.

The real problem is that there is an element of fascial structures involved in what the ki things do. It's not just the bone and muscle mechanics involved in the equation of Ki... there are some intereactions between the fascial structures, the autonomic functions, and so forth. In other words, an analysis of body mechanics in the basic kinesiology sense, isn't really accurate. So Ueshiba couldn't do such a modern analysis and even if he could, it wouldn't be accurate.

If there are factors in the equation that you don't understand, I'd suggest that your understanding of jin and kokyu is probably off.

Maybe if you attempted a simpler analysis to make your point, as a starter, and explained to some of the people who attended Ushiro Sensei's workshop what it was that they felt that was so odd in some of Ushiro's pushes, pokes, and other techniques? It would be a good start. As it is, your analysis makes no differentiation between normal body mechanics and the mechanics of "ki".

Regards,

Mike Sigman