View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #22
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: How to teach and train relaxation

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote:
I am understanding from your post that jin is the path or connection in the body from an external force to the ground. Or perhaps connecting the entire body to the ground to dissipate a force. Is that correct?

While you haven't given your views about where tension comes from I am guessing that you would view tension as a result of not knowing how to move and connect the body properly. Good guess or not?
And
Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote:
The tester can also work on developing the same skills so that the same amount of pressure becomes a more challenging test (sounding like a 'ki test'?).

Mike, did you experience similar exercises at the Shaner, sensei workshop?
The essence of that particular and limited demonstration is that

(1.) The mind can arrange paths at will.
(2.) The lower body is allowed to have the load-bearing and power-generating responsibilites.

If the "paths" and load bearing are rigged (by choice; mentally) so that the lower-body and ground (in this example) are the sources of power and the upper body is simply the conduit through which the forces go, then the upper body can be "relaxed".

In the case of the Ki Society people (I didn't test them all, but this seems in my mind to be a fair general observation based on what I did get to feel), it appeared that too many of them thought the end-point of forces should be their "One Point" and what happened was that they didn't often appear to have the full solidity they would have had if they had understood that the body simply conveys the ground to their push, so that they are pushing the ground. Once that basic power is understood, it can be manipulated in all sorts of interesting ways.

I thought in general that the Ki Society people were definitely working toward the right things, but that there were a lot of problems caused by the vagueness of their descriptions and an incomplete understanding of the forces and mechanics involved.

Another point would be that if someone pushes on the upper body and you want to convey that force to the ground without using any appreciable tensions in the upper body, the body "structure" must be coherent. This is the essence of Rob's and Dan's discussions about their trainings with the body axes, etc. So it all ties into one thing... not a discussion of separate things.

Best.

Mike